Popular Posts

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Living the Taboo of Inter-caste Marriage



Yess… I am getting married, getting married to the love of my life.. Yes it is an inter-caste marriage where ME, the girl belongs to a Punjabi Family, and HIM, the guy belongs to a Hindu Jaiswal Family.. Both families based in a small town where LOVE Marriage is a taboo and if topped by wedding between 2 individuals of different castes, it becomes a social stigma.. and we the lovebirds are reduced to victims of social norms.. Love is strong or atleast it makes you feel strong-headed enough, as it did in my case.. It took me a whole 1 year and 6 months to get my parents convinced to the fact that in a marriage 2 people loving each other is more important than the society agreeing to it.. Equally difficult for him was to convince his parents.. but it seems that some things are fate, destiny, written… coz finally both the set of parents agreed, and man not just did they agree, but they were happy.. really happy… and that is what brought us happiness…
 And now we have a date.. 25th April 2012, to transform our love into a strong bond…  Here I am, 91 Days away from My D-Day… thinking of what will it be like to live the taboo.., How to I make people/ friends/ family overcome this stigma.. I can already see few hiccups… my extended in laws not getting tuned to the idea of Inter caste wedding… Their response on getting to know about the wedding – “Hamara Beta aisa nahi kar sakta, itne sanskaro se pala hai humne use” – Does it mean falling in love is apke sanskaron k khilaf?? Just because their ladla beta has chosen a bahu outside their religion / caste, so he becomes the villain of the extended family (Read Mausis / Mamas). And the added expectation from me-“ Dekhte hain dusri jaat ki bahu kaisi hogi” – Soo much performance pressure.. more than what I had in my MBA Exams.. It might sound ridiculous to even be bothered about the extended family, but honestly, I am not bothered about them, I am bothered about my In laws, coz in someways it’s my responsibility to be a Good Bahu , so as to make everybody swallow their words… I know what I have to do – To Please everyone, the question is HOW??  And this is only the beginning, don’t even ask me about whts going on my mind about adjusting in the small town, being a housewife (for sometime), having a new family.. ohh the kind of panic attacks I get these days… Let’s see how will things move… till then I am waiting.. Basking in the joy of atleast having a date on hand… Have quit my job and all I do these days is google, read, browse for images on decoration ideas, lehnga patterns. Mehndi designs.. and everything girly which I never did earlier… so yess I am enjoying this break from work…  and afterall I deserve it atleast now, coz 3 months from now, I may be busy making lavish dinner menu for my new family.. I know it is only tea-time now.. but then I will need time to think.. to do the prep and to patao My Sasu Ma with a Smile, to make her help me in the kitchen without offending her :)….
All the best to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment